For teeth straightening, Invisalign is a great option that gently moves teeth into position the same way traditional braces do. For jaw straightening and facial symmetry problems, can Invisalign do the same? The answer is yes. Adult Braces London can use clear aligners to align both the jaw and teeth.
Causes of asymmetrical jaw
Misshapen teeth can make the jaw look uneven, but Invisalign can correct it. Improper alignment of the teeth can cause the jaw to appear crooked or uneven. This can cause difficulty with speaking, drinking and eating. Physical therapy can fix an uneven jaw, depending on the case. If the case is very serious, the doctor may recommend corrective surgery. There are several factors that stir up a misaligned jaw. They include:
- Broken jaw or physical distress: Facial injury from accidents, contact sports, and falls can dislodge or fracture the bone in the jaw. Should you have experienced any of these, you’ll likely have a broken jaw that might later look misaligned. Facial pain, bleeding from the mouth, stiffness in the jaw, bruised and swollen face, etc. are symptoms of a broken jaw.
- Birth defects: Conditions like mandibular hypoplasia or micrognathia in new borns can make them have a small lower jaw that doesn’t match the rest of the face. There could also be teeth misalignment since there is not much space for teeth growth. The good news is that sometimes cases like this improve on their own. People can use changes in eating methods and special equipment to correct this problem. If the condition doesn’t improve over time, they may need to undergo corrective surgery.
- Teeth misalignment: Crowded or improperly aligned teeth can cause a tightened and asymmetrical jaw. When the top and bottom teeth don’t meet in alignment, as seen in malocclusion, an even jaw may eventually develop. Issues like overbites and underbites are common malocclusions leading to a misaligned jaw.
What are the symptoms of a misaligned jaw?
While there are several signs of an uneven jaw, the following are the commonest:
- Pain in the jaw area
- Pain in the back or shoulder
- Tight, clicking jaw
- Popping sensation in the ear
You should keep an eye on these signs. Speak with a doctor immediately if you’re going through any of these symptoms. So much discomfort can arise following a misaligned jaw. Where the jaw is seriously misaligned, there would be difficulty trying to talk, eat, drink, or breathe.
What are the methods to straighten a misaligned jaw?
Clear aligners are one among the many treatment options for uneven jaws. Surgery can also work. The severity of the misalignment determines what option would work best for you. Here are some options to consider:
These are standard, traditional braces for uneven jaw and misaligned teeth. It can be completed in between 1 to 3 years. Headgear braces are a good fix for excessively misaligned jaw, and the wearer has to have them on for 12 to 14 hours per day.
Upper jaw expanders
This one works for an issue like underbite, where the lower jaw extends more than the upper jaw. The device is a wireframed type that is worn over your upper palate. This treatment can be completed in a year.
Reverse pull face masks
Orthodontists often use these methods to fix an underbite, just like expanders. Throughout the night, you’ll wear the mask that attaches metal braces to your top back teeth and bonds to your face. Then, you’ll wind the mask around your head to pull back your upper jaw.
Maxillary and mandibular osteotomy
During a maxillary osteotomy, the surgeon uses a small saw to cut the upper jaw. They also drill a tiny hole on the gum above the upper jaw teeth.
This procedure helps jaw realignment. For mandibular osteotomy, a tiny hole is bore at the back of the mouth. The lower jaw is adjusted with this procedure.
Although popularly known as a cosmetic surgery, this type of treatment involves repositioning or reshaping the chin to make the face look uniform. The surgeon will take your chin bone apart from the jaw and adjust them appropriately.
Here, the uneven jaw is cast for a duration of time. This solution is mostly applied for fractured jaws. This treatment will make eating difficult. And your food or drink will be mainly liquid for 6 times per day.
Do I really need surgery, facemasks, or headgears?
It depends on how severe the case is. While most treatments for jaw straightening may be pricey and uncomfortable, a good option is clear aligners. It’s a safe, comfortable and functional solution.
Can clear aligners straighten my jawline?
Considering the cost, inconvenience, or pain some treatments bring, we do recommend the use of clear aligners as they can straighten the upper and lower jaw. This solution eliminates chewing and speaking difficulties.
How do clear aligners work?
The approach is similar to that of metal braces, except that it uses bespoke, transparent trays to shift the teeth into the desired position. Clear aligners are an improvement over traditional braces, as they both work to align teeth. Invisalign is ideal for the modern-day population.
Are there benefits of using clear aligners to straighten the jaw?
Yes. Invisalign is an inconspicuous and convenient treatment. Plus, the duration of treatment is shorter. Unlike face masks, headgears, and metal braces that people can notice, Invisalign is discreet. They’re removable. Treatment can usually be completed between 6 to 18 months.
Who does Invisalign work for, and how is it done?
Both teenagers and adults can get Invisalign. To get started, you need to have a consultation to check your dental condition. If you are eligible, we will create a treatment plan and produce your bespoke aligners from impressions of your teeth. You may need retainers post-treatment to avoid a relapse.
Correct your smile
At Adult Braces London, we offer the best Invisalign London. Contact us to know if this option is for you.